Many interesting places in India have only developed from human beliefs and myths. Later people’s faith and respect turned that place into a unique one. Baba Mandir in Sikkim, India is such that kind of unique place. People believe that Baba Harbhajan Singh died while on duty. And his demise does not stop him from doing his duties. Until Harbhajan Singh’s retirement age, the Indian army sent his salary to his family every month. Every year his belongings are sent to his family in Punjab when Army officers are on holiday. His life story motivated us. Indian Government establishes a temple in his honor in Sikkim. This temple is called Baba Mandir.
Also Read: The African Village In India
If you can’t find peace in any place, head to Sikkim. It’s the place where you will truly believe in the goodness of nature and humanity. The state of Sikkim, nestled in the North-Eastern part of India, isn’t exactly on the tourist radar. But it should be. The state has so much to offer to visitors. You will fall short of words to describe its natural beauty.
Also Read: I Met Little Goddess During My Travel
Baba Harbhajan Singh -Hero of the Indian Army
The temple of Baba Harbhajan Singh of East Sikkim has been built through various mysteries and stories.
Baba Harbhajan Singh is revered as the “Hero of Nathula” by soldiers of the Indian army. He was born on 30th August 1946 in Punjab, Harbhajan joined the Indian Army at the age of 20. On 4th October 1968, while escorting a mule column from his battalion headquarters at Tukla to Deng Chukla, he slipped and fell into a fast-flowing stream and got drowned. The army searched for his body for three days but didn’t find it. Believed that one of his Sepoy friends was informed in his dream about the exact location of his body with his wish to be cremated there with full military honors. Later a memorial was built at the cremating spot which came to be known as Baba Mandir.
Also Read: Humankind Is 7% Happier Than Those Who Do Not Travel
Beliefs And Myths About Baba Mandir
• The people of Sikkim and Indian Army officers still believe that even after the death of Baba Harbhajan Singh, his soul is still working in the border areas.
• Any army official not maintaining clean and disciplined attire is punished with a slap by Baba himself. This shows how disciplined he was all his life.
• It is also believed that water kept at the Baba Harbhajan shrine becomes capable of curing ailing persons. Devotees, therefore, leave bottles of water in the name of ailing people and then give this blessed water to the sick.
• There is a belief in the army that Baba will warn them of an impending attack at least three days in advance.
Also Read: Unique Story- Of 7 Indian Villages
In Honor Of Baba Harbhajan Singh
• Every year on 11 September, a jeep departs with his personal belongings to the nearest railway station, New Jalpaiguri, from where it is then sent by train to the village of Kuka, in the Kapurthala district of Punjab. A small sum of money is contributed by soldiers posted in Nathula to be sent to his mother each month.
• The Army is on high alert when Baba is on leave.
• During flag meetings between the two nations at Nathu La, even the Chinese Army set a chair aside to honor him.
The End Story
Captain Harbhajan Singh retired from the army a few years back. Indian army hadn’t promoted him from Sepoy to captain. One important thing is that his family never received a salary every month from the Indian Army directly. But the soldiers there created a fund in his honor which raises money for his family. In 2005, he was scheduled to retire.
Also Read: 5 India’s Most Ancient City